Deferred Gift Annuity: The Details
This version of the charitable gift annuity is especially designed for younger donors. Called the deferred gift annuity, it makes fixed annual payments to you and/or another beneficiary for life, with payments commencing at a future date. Because of the deferral of income:
- The Dechomai Foundation can offer a higher income rate for these annuities than for annuities with payments that start immediately, and
- You may receive a larger charitable income tax deduction than you could get from any other life-income gift plan.
These two features make the deferred gift annuity quite attractive to donors in high-earnings years who are concerned about securing both current tax deductions and additional sources of retirement income.
Use a deferred gift annuity to help plan for retirement
Many donors establish a series of deferred gift annuities over several years, using funds they had already set aside for retirement saving. They set the commencement date for payments from these annuities to coincide with their or their spouse’s retirement.
The deferred gift annuity offers the same benefits of simplicity, security, and attractive income deductions that the regular gift annuity provides our donors:
- Your deferred annuity is a contract between the Dechomai Foundation and you, and your annuity payments are an obligation backed by our corporate assets;
- You secure a charitable income tax deduction based on the market value of the assets you contributed, minus the present value of the life-income interest you retained;
- You avoid all up-front capital gains taxes. If you fund your deferred gift annuity with appreciated securities, only a portion of your gain is recognized, with the tax spread over your annuity payments;
Part of each annuity payment to you is tax-free;
- The difference between our costs for maintaining your annuity payments and the size of your gift provides a generous gift to the Dechomai Foundation for the purpose you designated when you created the gift annuity.
- A deferred gift annuity at the Dechomai Foundation can be made with a gift of $20,000 or more.
Note: If you’re over 55, you may want to consider a charitable gift annuity.